Monday 5 October 2009

Michael Jackson 'Tribute' Show

" 'King of Pop' Michael Jackson Dead "

When I first saw this as a breaking news on TV, I stood staring at my window for a couple of minutes. Not that I'm a huge fan of MJ. I've never been one, but then he's been a master entertainer that anybody would be shocked to see the news. So when I had an offer to go to MJ's tribute show I jumped on it to grab my ticket.

First of all, I must say that I was pretty taken aback by the stage design of the show. LCD posters of MJ dotted the stage and videos of MJ in the background was complete with fire sets. Because Chennai was viewed as an orthodox & conservative city, it was a pleasant surprise to see a world class stage. Leading singers from the film industry of the country were there to celebrate the life of Michael Jackson by singing his famous hits. Beat it, Dangerous, Smooth Criminal... U name it... I must admit that I was surprised by the quality of the so called 'Southern' singers'. I mean if MJ was present there, he would have been happy.

What irked me throughout the show was the crowd. First of all, the crowd was sparse. Second, they gave the least audible responsible to the songs which were very good. The front rows would not applaud hiding in its 'Executive' screen. The last rows were on a league on its own. Can u imagine looking at a crowd performing 'Kuthu' dance for Dangerous? It was horrible. I mean, HEY, we are celebrating the life of the moonwalker with celebrity MJ fans like Simbhu, Gowtham Menon and we end up watching a 3rd grade crowd watch and cheeer for the female singers' boobs rather than the song. Damn...

I feel for the organizers. I mean here's a team that recruited the best of singers, designed and executed an amazing stage, put up really good special effects, but failed to market the show properly. It was like giving a garland of beautiful flowers to a monkey. The result, a great tribute show that went unnoticed.

No comments: